Friday, July 31, 2009

To make some type of difference.?

ok so im 19, and for the longest time i couldnt figure out what i want to do that seems like it would be rewarding and not just for the money. when i was a small child i either wanted to be a veterinarian or a nurse. or even a psychiatrist...well you get the point. i just want to help something in some way. what would it take to be able to get into a program to help animals in any way. i absolutley hate animal cruelty to the max. it makes me mad just thinking about it. i know a lot about animals (like in a nerd way) so i think it would help. would volunteering first help at all? what can i do that would be extra. Ps when i get my GED im thinking about doing some animal care classes also. thanks.
Answers:
I started in the field by working as a kennel assistant. It usually involves cleaning cages, walking dogs, giving medication, etc and isn't a very difficult job to get if you really love animals. However, if you wanted to boost your chances, I would recommend volunteering at the Humane Society or one of your local animal shelters - which will probably teach you quite a bit about being a kennel assistant.

Once there, you can work your way up to veterinary assistant and some states allow you to become a tech without getting licensed (though you may decide to go the licensed route...and it usually comes with a decent pay boost).

All of these will look good if you were to decide to pursue a veterinary career and you need so many working hours for admission to colleges.

In my case, it has really opened doors. I now am fully capable of doing veterinary tech work (place catheters, give injections, draw blood, surgical assistance, etc)...but the biggest benefit has been a job working at a doggy daycare (which I absolutely love). I have very little difficulty getting jobs working with animals and have a nice resume built up over the years - I'm 28.

As far as helping animals, just working in a veterinary office can introduce you to rescue organizations. Many vets offer discounts to these groups and assist in placements. Also, there are some vet assistants and techs that also work with rescue groups and find homes for animals that the hospital decided to save despite the owners refusal for treatment. There are many things you can do.

Best of luck!
im impressed with your question,im also getting my g.e.d and going into vet school,all i can to you is go for it,heart and soul
I am just like you. I wanted to do something that would make a difference. So I am in college to become a nurse and I volunteer at animal shelters. I go to the shelters to give the animals one on one attention. You would not believe how much their spirits improve when someone shows them love and attention. I know that I can't adopt them all but I do know that when I am playing with them or just petting them and talking to them, they feel loved and happy and that makes all the difference in the world to me. Great question by theway.
Follow ya dreams you gon be alright.

Lick Lick.

No comments:

Post a Comment