Monday, May 24, 2010

What breed for a little girl?

my aunt sees that a rabbit is a good pet i know plenty of things about care and feed i want to know what breed would be good for her she is 6 has a little sister that is 1 year old and a little brother that is 5 (he is consisdered a brother) they want a baby bunny half the size of a florida white i really need help with this because they want to get it next week end
Answers:
A rabbit who is well cared for will probably live 8-12 years, possibly even longer. Therefore, instead of thinking about what breed of rabbit is best for children aged 6, 5, and 1 years, it may be better to think about what breed of rabbit will still suit the family when the children are aged 18, 17, and 13 years. Because children often lose interest in rabbits by the time they reach their teen years, it would be a good idea for your aunt to choose a rabbit SHE will be happy taking care of for 8-12 years or longer.

If there's a chapter of the House Rabbit Society in the area your aunt lives in, she will probably be able to get recommendations from a House Rabbit Society representative for specific rabbits who are good with children of all ages. If you e-mail me with the location, I can check and see if there's a chapter nearby.
baBY BUNNIES ARE GREAT
maybe a dwarf rabbit.
I would suggest a holland lop or mini lop- stay away from the netherland dwarfs, in my experience they are often moody and nasty, despite their small size. Mini rexes are good too.
Rabbits are okay pets but they can be really feisty. Just so u know. and if you're looking for a smaller breed, dwarfs run very small!!! Also the first bun I ever went out to adopt was at the Humane Society, I was just looking for some breed of rabbit and found little Molly to be absolutely adorable. She was aging but still had a lot of spunk to her I guess, cause when I took her out to get "aquainted" in the play-room she hopped right into my lap and let me pet her and hold her. It was the sweetest thing.. Rabbits really don't like to play much though keep that in mind. They are very fragile, high strung and sensitive. The dwarfs are very friendly but remember they are very, very small and extremely fragile. I wouldn't advise a young child to care for a small rabbit, UNLESS she is supervised with the bun at all times.

-post above mentions dwarfs to be moody. I've had 2 diff ones and they were most definately very sweet and charming. I also kept a mini-lop and she was nice but we're talking about children here, the cute-factor wears off more quickly with lops and dwarfs seem to have that perma-baby-cuteness about them... well good luck in finding the right one

No comments:

Post a Comment