Monday, May 24, 2010

What are your experiances with fostering animals from the humane society?


Answers:
I usually end up adopting my foster dogs. I am the director of my own rescue though. I have some wonderful people who foster for me.
I learned to look for traits that showed the pets I selected were still reachable.

A good book to help you get a dog back into good behavior and healthy spirits is, "No Bad Dogs, The Woodhouse Way."
I am a foster mom for Living Creatures Animal Sanctuary. Currently I have three adult cats living with me. LCAS is a small rescue group, we believe that a pet living in a barn or garage, but still part of a family is better than being in a cage or being put to death. So all three of my cats are in my barn with my horses. A lot of rescue groups are much stricter though, they require the animal be inside a home all the time. So be sure to ask about that! Also, ask who will provide the food. We are given a food allowance-free pet food for our personal pets and the foster pets, as long as they don't go over so many pounds a month. Our rescue has very little money so we only do vaccinations no other unnecessary care (like spaying %26 neutering). I enjoy being a foster mom, but it is work. Some of the cats have problems, one throws up if he eats a lot!! So thats something I have to deal with! Also adults don't get adopted very easily and they are with you a long time.

Check out www.myspace.com/whisperingpine...
to see some of my foster pets:)

More foster parents are always needed... it's a good cause.
Well I am fostering a pregnant cat from a cat rescue right now. I never knew how overwhelemd rescue %26 humane societies get until I saw all the cats/kittens the place had. It makes me angry because people don't spay %26 neuter their pets.
I haven't directly fostered but I have filled out an application to do it but never sent it in because of three hard to deal with things that I learnt from the humane society I was going to be working with:
*My husband can't take the emotional side of letting the animal go
*The fact that you could be fostering a dog or cat that will be spayed even if pregnant and a good way along in the pregnancy
*The fact that you could be fostering a dog or cat that within a certain time limit may need to be returned for euthanasia.

Fostering takes a person with a heart of gold and a heart of steel. I take my hat off to those of you who have done it and continue to provide help to needy animals.
I have fostered kittens and rats. I found out that fostering isn't for me. It KILLED me to let them go, even though they went to good homes!

From now on if I bring an animal into my house, it's here to stay.
It's an expremely good cause, and they always need more foster parents. But the hard part is letting the animal go.

No comments:

Post a Comment