Saturday, May 22, 2010

What are better, Hamsters or Guinea pigs?

Specifically, what are more intelligent, courageous and noble?
Answers:
Personally, I prefer hamsters. I think hamsters are far cuter! I had guinea pigs as a child, and found them to be quite hard work, as they had a large area to be cleaned out and had to be transfered from hutch to run daily, and sometimes I forgot! I have hamsters now, and find them much more fun! They seem more friendly than my guinea pigs were, and I think they're much more intelligent! Even though they are so small they can run and climb really well; my guinea pigs didn't do much but sit around eating! Hamsters are more intelligent because they hide food to provide for the future, they are very easily trained and come running out when I call them! They are courageous because they will climb and jump from high places even though they are tiny! Not sure about noble though!
I Think Its Mostly Down To Personal Preferance And Individual Charachter Of The Animals
Guinea pig - one: they can live outside - less smell
two: bigger so nicer to pet
three: more responsive than a hamster
When my 4 kids were little, we had both. Guinea pigs are VERY cute, but are also VERY loud. They were never bitten by guinea pigs. but were bitten by hamsters even though they were handled daily. Guess who had to take care of the hamsters??? :)
hamster
don't know about intelligence, courage and nobility but guinea pigs are very nice in a BBQ sauce, never had a hamster.
lol.i like both but wouldn't get either as easy to forget to look after properly, especially for kids
neither rats... they are fab,as pets.. and intelligent too
guinea pigs are really sweet and interact with you alot more, they also make cute squeaky noises, but they need to be kept with oth guineas as they are pack animals, so have at least 2 or more.
Guinea pigs. They are cool. Give them some pieces of tomato and cucumber. We do daily. If we don`t they will call us.lol Then we feed them there treats and they have a very rewarding purr. We have one when people come by they ask what kind of rabbit is that. lol. The others are not as old but are trying to catch up.
Hamsters and easier to look after - the cages are smaller, kept indoors and smell less! I have kept hanster since I was a kid and they have been lovely, you just need to handle them at lot from an early age and they will become very tame.

Guinea pigs are obviously larger, need more room to run about, more expensive to keep but they actually sit still and make really cute little chattery noises. They can be quite territorial with their owner. A friend of mine had one and it loved her - anyone else picked it up it would struggle and wee all over you!
I hated my friends Guinea Pigs when I was a child, they were noisy, a lot of work (looked after them whilst they were on holidays etc) and were smelly! I have a pet hamster now, 25 yrs old, silly huh?!, and he has never bitten me or my other half, is very quiet and easy to keep clean. He brings me so much joy and has such a character and everyone loves him, even my friend who hates small animals thinks he is cute! I think it is personal preference and for me, I would not swap my Papalazarou for the world - he's adorable!
guniea pigs
We have had many of both over the years but I do prefer Guinea pigs. I think they are calmer and easier for kids in particular. Not sure they are all that intelligent mind you!
neither, BUY A RAT, best small pet you'll ever own.
Definitely Guinea Pigs!!
guinea pigs are more placid they dont bite but they are always squeaking and their fur is rougher. hamsters are more volitile they have to be handled regulary and they are awake all night so they are quite boring if you want a pet for the daytime. hamsters only live 3-4 years as well
I have a hampster, there are good thing about hamsters and guinea pigs, one goo dthing about guinea pigs is that you can hold them and they just sit there, but with hamsters (mine as an example they dont like sitting quietly and just want to run around the place but overall i'll have to go with hamsters as i do own one.
Guinea Pig. they are 100 times more social and loving. My Guinea Pigs know my voice and will follow me around. Hamster bite and can be kinda a nasty (they are more independent). I do not do much with my hamsters only because they bite and want to run. MY Guinea PIgs love to be held.
as a kid i had hamsters, gerbils, rats and guinea pigs. i would say i liked the rats best. rats are very bright and easier to handle. i like guinea pigs too but they are noisy and can be messy. they seem to have great personalities. gerbils are a nice size and pretty funny. just say gerbil, funny sounding. hamsters are my least favorite, not bad pets but they dont live as long as rats or guinea pigs. hamsters can be bad for biting, often you dont know until you have already picked one out at the pet store and taken it home. if you find a good hamster they are nice pets, their no rat but they are fun to watch and very fuzzy.
Guinea pigs! they are loving and a good size to cuddle, with less chance of getting squished! they are courageous (my gp explored the ground floor of our house!) and are intelligent - my brother's gp has learnt to stand up on his hind legs to get his favourite treat - baby corn! i'd definitely recommend a guinea pig!
I prefer Guinea Pigs as they have a personality and are easier to interact with. They are cuddly and sweet and NEVER (almost never) bite. May nibble a bit but usually not bite.

1 comment: