Saturday, May 22, 2010

What animal do you wish were domesticized as a pet, and why?

Oh, how I wish I had a penguin! What about you?
Answers:
a monkey! They're so cute and they're really intelligent. However, as badly as I would like one, I know that they belong in the wild and would become extremely stressed in captivity. Still, it's always fun to wish!
Cougar. I have always liked their eyes and they look like they would be so soft.
a chipmunk or a polar bear
FERRETS. They are illegal in California because they do not recognized that they ARE domesticated pets, among other misnomers. Ferrets are,cute, cuddly, friendly, funny, curious, silly, fun to watch, fun to have. A penguin would be cool. Love to have a clouded leopard, but will have to stick with my Bengal cat, whose great-great grandfather was an asian leopard. I'd also like to have a giraffe, but don't quite have that much room. I had a pet skunk once, by he was a wild rescue and was unreleasable. Friend has a domestic pet skunk. If you know what you are doing, they make great pets. Not legal in MANY states though...
A tiger would be sweet but I would also like a large bear.
A fox. I work at a wildlife rehabilitation shelter, and we just got in a baby red fox. It is the cutest thing I have ever seen in my life and absolutely LOVES to play with people.
The gorilla. I would like to be room mates with a gorilla.
A cheetah, they are so beautiful and I can understand why in ancient times some people did actually domesticate them.

My dream is to one day visit the Cheetah Conservation reserve in Okonjima in Namibia where you can meet with rescued cheetah. In the meantime, I content myself with making donations to the charity to support their continued good work.
I always wanted to have a grizzly bear as a pet, except it would be to large to let it in my room..
I wish raccoons were domesticated... if you purchase a raccoon from a breeder ( and u can if its legal in your state)
then its considered a domestic... ( ha! my butt!)
I have one... he is almost 4 and weighs 45lbs!
You cannot cage a raccoon.. not only is it sad.. but its a terrible way to live out a coonie life!
He stays in the house.. he has his own room... but prefers to sleep up in the cabinets.. you cannot teach them no.. they will do as they please.. and occasionally listen if they are in a good mood.
He has tore up all the carpet and linoleum.. all the curtain and blinds... broke tons of things..
everything else I have packed away...
Its not very pretty in here... looks like I have about 10 kids that live here w/ all the toys!
and from the damage... everyone thinks i have a COUGAR! or Grizzley bear!
His favorite thing to do is open the dishwasher while its running and play in the water as it flows all over the floor!
( yes I lock it!) he unlocks it!
and the fridge.. to get his stinkin eggs! (yes it is bungie corded shut) but he just gets his little hand and takes the cord off...
Its not easy getting a 45lbs raccoon out of the fridge while he is eating his favorite food! I just let him be.. and when he is done.. he gets out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment