Sunday, August 2, 2009

Underground pet fence question?

I recently purchased a petsafe underground fence. It was incomplete so I am sending it back. I was wondering what everyone out there prefered between the Innotek or Petsafe. I have a lab, and am enclosing 3 acres for her to roam. Please don't answer if you are against these fences we live in rugged terain, and she likes to run off. We lost two wonderfully loved dogs last year from running, and do not want our hearts broken again. Right now she has to stay in her dog run, and we let her out when we can. We would like to give her more roaming time without worrying about her running off.
Answers:
Innotek is the way to go. We've carried many different brands in the past and only Innotek has survived. My boss uses Innotek for his Vizsla and it works great! Innotek also offers many different add-ons to customize your system and have it do exactly what want it to. However, I would recommend some training so the dog understands it's boundaries. But Innotek is the way to go.
They work really great if you train the dog to respond. Three acres may be too big an area to cover since it requires current throughout the line.
petsafe i think is a more user friendly system, and allows for big areas, but both are good products.
petsafe is suppose to be the better one however i don't know personally.

I trained my dogs not to run off and so far they haven't. they have 50 acres to run on though so they'll get tired and come home before they'll run off.

I'm really not okay with having my pet shocked if they run off the yard though. When I was little there was a dog that would swim across the lake and play with my brother and I and if that dog barked it would get shocked. My grandmother always removed the collar because it's just cruelty.

This to me is cruelty aswell but to one his own.

I can understand your loss and see where you're coming from but long rope leashes would work just as well.
I like the petsafe brand . If used according to directions the collar does all the work for you. I hope you have a good time with her once the fence is in place.
No matter how well trained your lab is he will bolt through the underground fence if he has a good reason, like a bunny or something irresistible like that.
i like petsafe... it was easy to install and it worked good at my parents house. i have never used the innotek brand.. i have heard that brand may be more expensive, but i have never used it.
You are doing the best thing for your dog in your circumstances for sure, so I'll never say it's a bad thing, but also contrary to popular belief dogs do not need alot of room to roam...round here many use the collars %26 fences, that deliver a little shock if the dog tries to go past the barriers, the sheep famers have one they travel with that unrolls %26 is solar electric as well, the thing is, while your dog can't get out, you have to be careful about what can get in %26 trap him, like coyotes, etc...and there's nothing wrong with keeping them in a good sized kennel when things are not safe for them or anyone else, unless you want to take him out for a good romp or play ...Take Care :)

No comments:

Post a Comment