Sunday, August 2, 2009

Trouble litter training my bunny! HELP!?

my bunny is around 5 1/2 - 6 weeks old. i just got her about 2 weeks ago. at first she used to poop and do her business in one of the corners, and then she started to half do it in the corner and half do it anywhere she felt like. i just bought her new toys, water bottle, and a feeding food box thing. I also got her a litter box, but she WILL NOT use it. ive done everything. everytime i go look, she's just pooped everywhere besides the box. I'm getting really frustrated and I've done tons of research. Nothing seems to be working. I even bought a litter training kit and i dont know whats going wrong. She seemed to know better 2 weeks ago, and just wont cooperate now. this is why i know it isnt because she's too young, cuz she's done it before.

please tell me all you know about litter training bunnies, especially from your own experience. i am very frustrated and know that she can do it, but just dont know how to help her.

thank you in advance.
Answers:
The only thing I ever learned about litter training is to take some of the bedding material that the rabbit urinates on and some of the droppings (which we called cocoa puffs) and put them in the litter box to give the rabbit the idea of where you want it to go.
Other than that and doing what you do for human children when you are toilet training them--catching them when they are doing what you want them to and rewarding them with attention and affection--I don't have any other ideas.
I think it takes a lot of patience--for bunnies and toddlers alike.
Good luck.
well when i got my rabbit he was about the same age as yours my mom said that when i brought him into the house to play with him i had to keep a baby gate up in one corner and he could only stay in that corner so if he pooped or peed it wouldnt be a problem to clean up. I stopped using the gate cause he wouldnt run out but one day he just kept running out and id bring him back he'd run out and so on so i just let him run around the basement then when he had to go he would go to that corner, finish, and run around again.Maybe just try teaching the rabbit where it needs to go before letting it go other places around the house

No comments:

Post a Comment