Sunday, August 2, 2009

Training tips?

I need training tips for working with donkeys. I work and train with horses, but this is my first donkey and obviously they don't respond like horses do. they are way smarter. like when i have a horse that won't turn, i just tie his head sideways and ask him to move off and eventually he'll turn smoothly and i undo him. the donkey doesn't do that! he still runs strait, or won't move at all. then he gets really mad and mean at me. how do i get him to turn nicely? and walk at the same time? I try to turn him while he is walking and he stops then turns really hard, then i have to ask him to walk forward again. i tried to keep him going when we turned by clicking but he doesn't listen to me, and i know he knows what it means cause i can click while he is standing and he will walk on! any other tips for anything would be great! teaching him to lunge, go faster, and to not sit down when he gets mad and frustrated. please please help me! in any way it would be great!special tips or tricks too
Answers:
I always thought Donkeys and Camels (I have trained both) would be like horses. Boy, was I wrong. I got more shoulder popped out, bruised bones, broken toes, etc training 2 donkeys and a camel than I ever got 12 yrs of training horses. I thought disciplining them would work as well- nope- they just get worse. I had a 4 hr fight with my camel once and I think the only reason I won was because it was past feeding time and she was hungry. With horses, I think the longest fight ever was 30min.

First realize that he probably will never ride as well as a horse (I have seen a few that do, but I believe they are an exception). I would start out first on the ground, and push him over by his side (where your legs would be when riding). Keep saying over for a verbal command and pressure alternating- when his side moves in at a walk, apply more pressure (until he moves over). Once he moves over, even just a little bit in the beginning- praise him and take a short break. Once he can do it both ways easily on the ground, try it riding him.

Basically, you want to try to get him to move off your legs- not your reins. From what I have found, they are a lot less stubborn if you are appling pressure to their sides than pulling on their head.
I wouldn't worry about his head at all- if you can get him to move off your legs, his head will follow. Just keep asking him to move- be persistent, but don't start beating on him or yelling- it just makes him more likely not to do it.

The minute he gives in, even a little bit- stop asking and praise him like he is the smartest most willing donkey in the world. Eventually, you will make him think that doing these things for you is a good idea- and then you want to eventually make it so he thinks it was HIS idea to turn with the leg pressure.

good luck!
Have you tried using a apple? Donkeys love apples. Positive reinforcement is key.

Also, speak sweetly to the donkey; they are special and they have tender feelings, although they can be stubborn sometimes..

No comments:

Post a Comment